What are Bicycle Friendly Streets?
Bicycle Friendly Streets (BFS) are LA’s interpretation of Bicycle Boulevards. BFS facilities parallel major corridors and provide a calmer, safer alternative for bicyclists of all ages and skill levels. BFS are multi-modal streets, which means that they accommodate all neighborhood users from cars, to bikes, to pedestrians. Neighborhoods surrounding BFS facilities stand to benefit from treatments that are designed to create calmer, safer streets. BFS solutions will be utilized primarily on the Neighborhood Network to create a pleasant and safe environment for relaxed riding, especially for bicyclists who are more sensitive to motor vehicle traffic.
Pedestrians and bicyclists benefit from the slower/less frequent vehicular traffic, which creates a calmer, safer environment that is desirable for those modes.
Bicycle Friendly Streets (BFS) are named for the street that they predominantly travel along. BFS facilities may jog from one street to another, but they are designed to be continuous routes that offering a calmer, safer alternative for bicyclists than major thoroughfares. Bicycle Friendly Streets offer convenient access to many popular destinations including schools, parks, shopping centers, transit stations, etc.
According to the 2010 LA City Bike Plan, BFS facilities are meant to:
- provide a benefit to the bicyclist who chooses the route
- benefits may include reduced travel time, lower motor vehicle traffic volumes and/or reduced motor vehicle speeds
- bicyclists should not be required to make frequent stops
- if motor vehicle average daily traffic (ADT) increases, other treatments may be necessary: diagonal diverters, one-way closures, chicanes, chokers, etc
- goal is to limit through vehicle access while preserving bicycle permeability
Levels of Treatment for Bicycle Friendly Streets
- Level 1: Route Markings – Signage
- Level 2: Route & Intersection Markings – Sharrows, bicycle left-turn lanes
- Level 3: Pavement Markings & Small Treatments – Loop detectors, bicycle boxes, Medians/Islands
- Level 4: Traffic Calming – Chicanes, Roundabouts
- Level 5: Traffic Diversion – Diverters, Choker Entrances
Bicycle Friendly Street YouTube Video
- Yucca St. BFS Construction Update
- Yucca St. Bicycle Friendly Street
- 4th St. update
- Addressing the Concerns of Local 4th Street Residents
- Next Phase of 4th Street Transformation on the Horizon
This page has the following sub pages.